Read at : Google Alert – gardening
The vertical space left in the garden is usually neglected by the farmers. But if the proper utilisation of this space is carried out then it can enhance the look of your garden and give your small yard or apartment a beautiful look. In this article, we will be discussing some of the basic that can be followed in utilising this vertical left out space for growing beautiful and blossoming flowers.
Tips For Vertical Gardening:
The perfect plants which can be used for vertical gardening are vines and climbers. It is because these suit best on the fence, trellises and garden arbors. The vertical plants require a bit of planning like:
- What can be the length of the growing plant
- Whether the plants which are grown require sun or shade for their growth
- What kind of support do the growing plants require
- Where can you grow these plant in garden bed, raised bed or in a container
Therefore before setting up a vertical garden it is very important that you decide before hand only what kind of plants are to be planted in your vertical garden. This will make your planning easy and you can easily arrange all the required items for your plants. The list of various plants that can fit into your vertical garden is given below:
- Vegetables: Tomatoes are the best choice for growing in a vegetable garden. Apart from this cucumber, small melons, grapes, peas can also grown.
- Annuals: The plants that are once in a year and can also be grown vertically include sweet pea, guards, morning glory, nasturtium etc.
- Perennials: Perennials like trumpet vine, climbing roses, jasmine, bougainvillea and passion flower etc.
Vertical gardening is a conventional form of gardening for places with limited spaces. It is a best form of gardening for apartments, cities, fences, porches, balconies etc. Vertical gardening consists of climbers planted near porches, fences which gradually grow and cover them. Hanging pots or baskets is also another form of vertical gardening. You can conveniently create your own vertical gardens.
Tips for Vertical Gardening:
- Location plays an important role in vertical gardening. Choose a location that won’t shade out the other plants
- Make sure that the plants are getting proper sunlight, air and water. Place them in such a way that they aren’t blown off with the seasonal wind
- Vertical gardening is generally done with upright structures like trellis, wood fence, bamboo fence, arbor or wall. You can also go for strings, fishing lines or mesh fabrics to support the plants
- You can also choose hanging baskets and pots for vertical gardening
- If you are planning to grow climbers or vines, then make sure that their base is mulched at least 4 inches deep in the soil
- As climbers or vines are week and sensitive they need to be watered properly. Make sure that during summers there is enough of water
- It is necessary to keep constant tab on the plants so that they are growing in the direction you want
- You would need ladder, twine etc. to maintain your vertical garden.
Tips for plant selection:
Plants used are obviously of your choice. But here are some tips that would be helpful while choosing plants for vertical gardening.
- Choose plants with beautiful color, smooth texture and form for vertical gardening.
- Choose plants that can be easily maintained and also grow fast.
- Select vines, twines and climbers because they attach themselves to the support system easily.
- Commonly climbing roses, clematis, morning glories, honey suckle, ivy and grape vines are the best options you can go for.
- Other good options are climbing grandifloras, floribundas, hybrid teas, tea roses, and polyanthus.
- In case of hanging baskets and pots geranium, petunias, daisies and carnations are the best choices.
- For vertical gardening vegetables like tomato, corn, beans, sweet peas etc. can be the right options.
Benefits of Vertical Gardening:
- It is the best way to use empty spaces
- You can grow more plants in a limited space
- Vertical gardening helps provide proper air circulation to the plants
- Vertical gardening also helps get sufficient shade to your room
- More than all these they add to your privacy